X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Wonder
    Don't get me started on shows with poor endings... It might just be my extremely high expectations but... most modern anime that I have been watching and recently finished haven't had good endings. Madoka Magica's was not good (Katrix, don't kill me), Kill la Kill's was STUPID, and a good number of other sub-par endings... It especially breaks me when the show in itself can be very good. Like Madoka Magica. Beautiful and great show but its ending was its weakest point.

When it comes to looking at a show or any piece of fiction, I look at several things:
    • Characters. This is the biggest point as I cannot like a show or fiction unless I have characters to like. If the characters are dreadful then I will not even bother. And this can be the biggest saving grace should a great character appear. Nui? She saved my interest in Kill la Kill due to her nature and interesting personality (but she is not worthy like Flandre or Regina).
    • General Story. Is the story actually good or not? If not, expect a quick departure and quit.
    • Context-based Judgement: "Is it a good show in its genre?" "Is it actually funny?" "Does it get its message through?" Context sensitive judgement that varies from genre to genre.
    • The Ending. The ending in itself comes under a different category from story because of how it can depart from the story in terms of quality and feels. Some endings are great like Chobits' but other can be bad like Kill la Kill's.

If a show can satisfy these criteria then the show is definitely one that can't go wrong. That is unless the f*ck-up actually lies outside these things.
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Like video games.

Xenoblade: great story and characters, a few continuity errors, and an ending that was...fair.

Fire Emblem Awakening: good premise, great concepts, poor execution of said concepts (god dammit Grima...), superb ending

The Last Story: good characters, decent story-that-could-have-been-better, and...dat ending...

LoZ ALBW: The story was good enough (once you get past the initial cheesiness of the gimmick) that turned into a great one. Excellent execution of everything. Though the final boss left me wanting a slight bit...

LoZ Skyward Sword: same reaction to it as I had with The Last Story.

LoZ Spirit Tracks:
      The only good part was the ending...literally.

LoZ Twilight Princess:
      Cinematic as all hell...
      Needs more puzzles to really be a Zelda but...dayum...dat story...

... I could go on.
      But i can say this: there's two type of people: those that are there for the plot, and those that are there for the flashy effects.

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

God morning everyone. I have had this weird night. I woke up like four or five times, but I don't know if I dreamt waking up or not.

Also TRXD, you don't really even qualify to judge the ending of PMMM as you haven't watched Rebellion yet. In my opinion, while it can be a bit controversial, it's really quite something.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
        Born in the light.
        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
        Keep Fighting.
        –Don't Forget.
        Always, somewhere,
        someone is fighting for you.
        –As long as you remember her,
        you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix

Good morning and welcome back!

You're needed in ATWAG and FAF.
          Originally posted by S121
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

good day katrix, maybe your waking up was caused by something you forgot?
            Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

RP General Discussion

Ok i mentioned this in mumble
              I need help
              For me in most RPs, I have lost all direction and the sense of purpose of some of the things I was doing.

Exhibit A) Washington arc in Atwag
              I don't even know what I'm doing there right now
              In all that I set up, Morgan is one of the pieces I'm most concerned about but even with her, I'm kinda lost on where I need her. I have no plan anymore, so I'm lost...in a literal way.

And it's not just Washington arc...
              It's all my characters in Atwag

Even TSU, FaF, SK, and the others.
              I got no more ideas and i'm stuck.

I need something, anything to just give me the right spark so I can piece everything together again.

I am just lost at a dead end with everything just seeming to go nowhere

Oh and prepare the funeral services: the Wii's and DS/DSi wi-fi services are dead.
              All that remains is Wii and DSi shop channel and video streaming services.
              All online multiplayer stuff for games that have the blue Nintendo Wi-Fi emblem are dead as of today.

Last edited by Cucoo5; 05-20-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Cucoo I have a post brewing for X and the Washington DC arc. Just in my next few posts will they be done.

Comment

Hm.. in Washington, you can use one of the fire emblem villains for the time being until the group gets more into the plot with the Dark links

In tsu, what is the current situation with your charactres? I can send Vivian to them since she went for a nap
                  Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

RP General Discussion

@sus
                    Alright

@kristia
                    Hm? One of the Fire Emblem villains?
                    I got Risen (zombies) and Grima (who is supposed to be "asleep" atm unless somehow the possessed Robin appears)
                    ...so I could throw in killer zombies into the mix ... I guess?
                    It might make sense because Morgan...
                    ...that could work...

Meanwhile, TSU, Kiara is in the dining hall talking to Marco the dog alchemy teacher and I need an interruption to fluff up my one word response that I would have made.

Because I don't want to make a post describing only how Kiara says the word "Yes."

Last edited by Cucoo5; 05-20-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

let me send Vivian to the Dining hall, she must be hungry

EDIT: Ok, I can´t find your post cucoo, what is happening in the dinning hall?

Spoiler:

Comment

@Katrix
                        I know... I know... It's like a stealth-nerd talking to a ninja. One likes to think that they know a lot, while the other can physically prove it.
                        It's kinda harsh to judge a piece of media that I have yet to finish. Especially if that media is one that I really like. But that's how I occasionally can be. Harsh as hell. When you've experienced some great endings in your time, your judgement towards them can be very strict. It must just be how I get carried away and go Reggie Fils-Aime ("My body is ready!") when an ending comes up. Only to get disappointed.

Heh... I'm a guy with a split-personality, a love for mahou-shoujo anime, and has a very stern judgement towards endings (and let's not forget my two demon lolis)... Either I'm the most chaotically unusual person or I'm not even human at all.
                        Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

@TRXD

well the ending is kind of a love it/hate it kind of thing. The hung you have to remember tough is if it's realistic. Remember that the show does try to add some realism.

Born in the light.
                          Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                          Keep Fighting.
                          –Don't Forget.
                          Always, somewhere,
                          you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix
                            So you're saying that the ending we got
                            Spoiler: This is an ACTUAL spoiler
                            in which wishing for all the witches to no longer exist as a concept, which in turn causes Madoka to become god and then recreate the entire universe in her mind's eye
                            is realistic? How?

There are SO many other ways that Madoka and Homura could have ended it all. So many others. That ending was actually the least realistic in my perspective. One that seemed rushed and uncreative. Seriously, when a pure-hearted girl is going to get a wish granted, she is always going to wish for the best thing for her friends and for all of mankind. (SUSTIC, don't you dare make a wish-granter in TSU. You'll know what'll happen.)

I'm not saying that I could think up of anything better. I can't. I'm not as talented as the writers for Madoka Magica were. I'm just saying that the ending wasn't good in my perspective because it seemed to only exist for the sake of granting Madoka a wish and ending the show on a light note. Heck, maybe even killing Madoka and Homura might have lead to a greater ending where no-one gets a happy ending (except Kyubey, despite being emotionless). That could have conveyed much more than what we got. Much more. It would have left a lasting impact on the viewers compared to the ultimate wish of Madoka's.

Sure, the talks between Madoka and her friends as the world is reborn are touching and the whole context of the ending wasn't too bad. But that's really all the good stuff I can think of when it comes to the ending. The resolution of the witch-magical girl was not good. Madoka's wish was not good and too predictable. The climax of the story was not good. All of these things lead to a sub-par ending. It might be a decent ending. But in the show's context, its not good.

This is just my opinion. I don't want to argue about how I might be a heretic for proclaiming these words. But it gets to me how people overlook these major points regarding the ending.

Comment

@TRXD

To be honest TRXD I NEVER had the idea of a wish-granter in TSU. There are beings that can grant wishes, but they will either come at a very big price or there will be very simple wish restrictions. Even then I never planned on actually having one, and still won't. Having a being that can actually grant wishes is just kind of... lame, and cliche in my opinion. As such I try to avoid those kind of beings in TSU, as well as hope no one makes a wish granter in the future.

Comment

@TRXD

*Was still talking about Rebellion*

I can see what you mean with the original show tough. Heck, she doesn't even wish the witches away. Instead she just defeats them before they become witches. The wish did have way too many loopholes.

As for Rebellion ending, if you know what to look for, you can see it coming from a mile away. Personally tough I have to say I was a bit surprised.

I do have to say something tough. WATCH REBELLION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Born in the light.
                                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                                Keep Fighting.
                                –Don't Forget.
                                Always, somewhere,
                                you are not alone.

Comment

Working...