Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooooh, me likesta.

Comment

To elaborate on what Katrix said:

We're going to bring everything out onto the table and say "What do we have here?"

I was proposing we use a simple stat system rating scale so that we have something to fall back on. Something that can settle power level discussions. Like a sort of standard weights that we don't touch.

So we would take our characters
      and
      use something like this

HP

Str

Mag

Skl

Spd

Lck

Def

Res

analyze each stat of the character on a scale of 0-50 in respect to how we feel they are in their origins (games and such)
      Then we have something that allows us to compare the characters quickly on a balanced system.

The key point is that this system is the backup emergency fall back plan B system

Instead of just analyzing things trying to figure out what beats what, we just go with plot and just...make it interesting. Make things struggle here, then have them be god like there... based on what needs to happen to advance the plot.

We're all creating stories so no one can cop-out on that.

So we're gonna just debate on a centralized scale and collaborate on what stats characters should have. Once that is done, we lock that information away and if we ever come to something where we question power levels or abilities, we go to this centralized scale.
      Last edited by Cucoo5; 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I don't even get what half of those things are supposed to mean? SKL? RES? I'm confused by the thing in general.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

@ Mima

it's just an example I pulled from FE.

HP (Health)

Strength

Magic

Skl (Skill)

Spd (speed)

Lck (Luck)

Defense

Resistance

We'll need to work it out since...Resistance is the defense against magic.... and I'm certain some stats are missing for characters here.

we need to find something we can agree on that can work across the board.

Comment

I don´t like it, if we wanted to make a strategic Role playing game, we would make one like that

ATWaG is a story/plot drivven Role play were we the role players try our best to act as the characters we chose to have, yes we may have skidded off from their original ways of thinking, ideas, etc.. but that is because, with time, we put part of ourselves into them.

Also, it isn´t that hard to make our characters vulnerable or show their limits
            Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

@ Kristia

right, but this is for saying "Wait, realistically would person A take x dmg and avoid y dmg when fighting person B?"

It satisfies the over analytics, like me and anyone else

Then we put that aside and then focus on "Ok how many twists and turns can we throw in here while the characters go from point A to point B?"
              So we're trying to isolate things so that we can just work on plot rather than realistically "what would really beat this?"

Comment

that is why we have the story to actually investigate, that is what Jack is doing at the moment while getting information with Alvin

(let´s not go again at the cryptic stuff fiasco by the way)

The characters are trying to understand what is happening on their own way, the moment they know about something, they will search for information

EDIT

When you ask abut the possibility of evasion and possibilities, that is something we must show, atleast Im trying since my characters are actually still having minor injuries from the many events
                Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

Thing is, some characters (good examples being Alvis, and especially the Gravemind. He doesn't talk in anything but cryptic shit.) are meant to be cryptic in that way, because mysteriousness or hidden power, or something.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

@ Kristia

right

but for us

to keep order and prevent frustrations and what not like what happened, we need to just set up something a bit more...standardized.

Like what I just posted a thread about.

And this thread that Katrix created

If we can keep everything listed out and on the table, we should be able to avoid a ton of issues. Eliminate disagreements by creating one standardized scale so that we can't disagree on things on the front of character power lvls

that way we can just work on plot.

If we can set everything up so that it's all in a nice neat location from power levels to a base of order of events

we can just focus on collaborating on what we want to happen instead of what should happen.
                    Last edited by Cucoo5; 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I still think this isn´t such a good idea, but I think im the only one disagreeing

democracy shall prevail then

Spoiler:

Comment

@ Kristia

the key point is that the "scale" is a fall back plan

it will not affect the RP and will not be like a dungeons and dragon set up

Comment

@Kristia

It isn't like that we will suddenly start to RP in a completely different way. It is a system to fall back on if what we have going at the moment doesn't work. 99% of the time you won't notice that it is there. Let's say for example that I said that Xehanort grabbed a steel pipe and bended it with a single hand. Suddenly someone doesn't like this (cucoo for example) and begins to argue with me that he shouldn't be able to do that. He is a old man after all. Now in this example it would just to show cucoo the video where he crush a armor with a single hand, but what if I didn't have that video, it's just scattered all over the game that he is very strong? Let's be honest here, I doubt that we are all going to play trough every game that enter this RP 100%. This is a way to go around this.

I am too against numbers, I don't like them and just like you say, they would be great if we had a strategic rp, but that's not what we have and we should try to keep it that way, but when things go wrong, we HAVE to have a system that we can fall back on, a system that doesn't let the arguments go on for days without getting resolved. It's not healthy for the RP at all and it makes us not want to RP as much. That's why we should try to deal with them as quick as possible.
                          Born in the light.
                          Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                          Keep Fighting.
                          –Don't Forget.
                          Always, somewhere,
                          someone is fighting for you.
                          –As long as you remember her,
                          you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristia View Post
                            I still think this isn´t such a good idea, but I think im the only one disagreeing

democracy shall prevail then
                            I don't approve of this whole stats thing either. I rather think of a character's power to be a very relative thing rather than absolute and that the outcome of a battle is up to the whim of the RPers. It's about cunning, creativity and strategy with what the characters can do. If we were wanting to talk stats, we should rather do a Touhou D&D game. (Speaking of which, I have found a great Touhou tabletop RPG that I need to play with some friends sometime).
                            But back to the subject at hand, I have to agree with Kristia in every way. Characters should be fleshed out in story and plot. Not through stats. They can become stronger through character development and through acquired knowledge and rare items. They shouldn't level up and have their stats boosted.
                            Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
                            My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
                            My NNID: OfficialTRXD
                            Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

*points to the two posts above*

Comment

@Cucoo
                                I am a slow poster. I did not see the posts until after I posted.
                                Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
                                My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
                                My NNID: OfficialTRXD
                                Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Working...
                                X